Anno Kongsvinger museum

Our vision is "Knowledge of the past – involvement in the present". At Kongsvinger museum, we preserve knowledge of past practices through our collections. The collections are a starting point for understanding more of the past. Through history we also gain new insights and perspectives on our own time.

The museum has extended opening hours in the summer season and accepts groups on request all year round. School classes have free entry both within and outside normal opening hours.

​​​​​​Gyldenborg – Exhibitions, conference and administration
Gyldenborg is Kongsvinger Museum's headquarters with exhibitions, lecture hall, meeting room, museum shop and a small library with local history literature.

Kongsvinger Museum's exhibitions can be seen on the ground floor. In 2014 the exhibition "1814 – another story" opened and in 2021 it was replaced by the exhibition "HJEMLAND, Erik Werenskiold and Kongsvinger 1855-1905".

The department is the administrative center for the four museums in the Anno Kongsvinger region and the building also houses magazines, warehouses and workshops for the Anno Kongsvinger region. The Kulturkollektivet, Kongsvinger amateur theater and several other actors also have their offices on the top floor at Gyldenborg.

Gyldenborg was built by Forsvarsbygg in 2001, and the Anno museum moved into the building in 2013.

Aamodtgården – Get an insight into life as a civil servant
Aamodtgården at the foot of Kongsvinger fortress is one of the city's oldest signal buildings. Here you can get a tour of Nina and Harald Aamodt's apartment on the second floor. The apartment is a unique example of a civil servant's apartment furnished in the 1920s.

The garden is a paneled timber building in Empire style built in 1801. Originally it was known as Rynninggården, after Ole Roald Rynning who was the builder and first owner. The property got its current name after the Aamodt family who bought it in 1901. The property consists of the main building on two floors, a side building for servants, a farm building and the tent house from 1729, which originally belonged to Kongsvinger fortress. Kongsvinger museum opened here in 1985.

Aamodtgården is today home to Hos Marie,  a pleasant cafe that offers delicious cakes and lunch dishes, and perhaps the city's best coffee. You will also find the Kongsvinger art association here, as well as that the Kongsvinger – Vinger history team has an office in the building.

Skinnarbøl school museum – See everyday school life 150 years ago
Skinnarbøl school is located just off the main road from Kongsvinger to Austmarka, along the roads towards Finnskogen and Sweden. The history teams in Kongsvinger are hosts at the museum during the summer, and they serve strong coffee and delicious waffles!

The old school at Skinnarbøl was built as one of the first permanent schools in Vinger municipality in 1862. When the entire Skinnarbøl school district was closed down and the children moved to Kongsvinger Sentralskole in 1964, no one had a use for the old school building anymore, and it was left to expire. The school had two classrooms, one for the high school and one for the junior school, and an apartment for the teacher with two rooms and a kitchen, all on the first floor. The loft is unfurnished. Almost no structural changes have been made since the house was built.

After a combined effort from history enthusiasts and Kongsvinger museum, the school museum was opened.

Please note that this product has yet to be professionally translated. Until then a machine translation has been provided.
 

Nes Collections

Stein School is a unique and colourful school adorned by well-known Norwegian artists such as Reidar Aulie, Dagfinn Werenskiold, Henrik Sørensen and many more. In the 1930s, they transformed the school’s interior into an imaginative and colourful frame for teaching.

Headmaster Erling Elverhøy and Ingeborg Refling Hagen were the driving forces behind the works of art, words and poems decorating walls, doors, staircases and other surfaces. The school was in regular use from 1912 to 1972, and goes by the name "The Fairytale School".

Next to Stein School is the "old school" from 1852, which was in use until 1912.

The schooll is onlyt open during the summertime.

Welcome to the café at Stein School

In our lovely and rustic café, which used to be and old barn, we serve homemade cakes and scones, freshly made waffles and brewed coffee, ice cream and other treats.

We also exhibit art in our café building, as well as the opportunity to buy unique pieces of jewellery and quotes from Stein School.

 

Want to know more? https://mia.no/nes

Member of Visit Greater Oslo 

The Oslofjord Museum in Vollen

Also enjoy a coffee and snack overlooking the fjord.

The Oslofjord Museum is located right by the fjord in the trading place Vollen, Asker. Here are nice little intimate shops, cafes and galleries. The coastal path goes right past the museum, and there are beaches nearby.

Welcome to the Oslofjord Museum in Vollen

 

Member of Visit Greater Oslo

Kongsvinger Fortress

The fortress's outdoor area is open and accessible all year round free of charge.

Kongsvinger Fortress was built in the 1680s to defend Norway against Sweden. It was built on the remains of a former fortress, Vingersundet skanse, on the River Glomma and was designed to protect the interior against attacks from the east. The fortress has played an important role in several wars and has been central to the defense of Norway. Today, the fortress is a landmark and is used for cultural activities and recreation, as well as housing a museum and a hotel.

The fortress was built in the 1680s to protect Norway from Sweden.It was placed by the Glomma river and the traffic routes through Vinger to prevent the advance towards Christiania (Oslo). The fortress has been central to several wars, especially against Sweden, and was headquarters for the invasion of Sweden in 1719 and during the planned invasion in 1788.

The fortress was decommissioned as an active defense in 1823, but has been reopened on several occasions, including during the dissolution of the union in 1905. After the Second World War, the fortress was used for the internment of traitors and as a home for various military units.

Kongsvinger Fortress is a popular tourist destination, with a museum, hotel, and events as part of the town's cultural offering. The fortress has been of great importance to the town of Kongsvinger, both as a defense and as an important part of the town's identity.

You may book accomodation on the castle here

 

At the castle you will also find the Fortress Museum, which shows the history of defence from the Viking Age to the present day. In 2002, H.R.H. Crown Prince Haakon opened the exhibition "The Good Helpers". During the last war, there was extensive cross-border cargo and courier traffic across the border with Sweden. The exhibition shows how the war affected the local community along the border. There is also a short video about the history of the fortress.

The picture gallery on the museum's third floor is "Fra Grændsevagten" – a photographic exhibition about the dissolution of the union between Norway and Sweden in 1905. The photographs depict the life, excitement and drama in and around Kongsvinger Fortress.

The museum is open 11.00-16.00 Saturday/Sunday in April and September. Exceptions are Palm Saturday/Sunday, Easter Eve, Easter Monday, 17 May and the first Saturday in June.

The ordinary opening period is from 1 May to 31 August every day between 11:00 and 16:00.
Out of season we are open by appointment. 

You may book a guided tour of the castle here.

 

 

Anno Kvinnemuseet – The women’s museum in Norway

"Kvinnemuseet" (The Women's Museum) will give the women history back
A few generations ago, women preferred not to take part in life outside the home. This has made women hardly visible in history books and in Norwegian museums.

The museum's collections consist of objects, books, photos and archive material. The museum has a well-stocked library that can be used by the public during the museum's opening hours. The museum's magazines contain a large collection of objects. Much is registered and available at Digitalt museum, and some selected objects can be seen in our permanent museum exhibitions "Play for life", "In all public" and "Din Dagny".

The Women's Museum also has some archival material and has recently begun cautiously registering this in the archive registration program Asta.

Exhibitions and events at the Women's Museum
Here you can experience three floors of information about women's lives and work – both nationally and internationally. In addition, the museum offers a number of events both at the museum and in the surrounding area. Entry ticket to the Women's Museum also gives free entry to the Kongsvinger Museum. (Does not apply to events)

See what's on

Opening hours

Winter and spring season 1 February – 18 May: Saturday and Sunday 12-16.

Summer season 20 May – 31 August: Tuesday to Sunday 11-17.

Autumn season 6 September – 30 November: Saturday and Sunday 12-16.

Open for school classes and groups by advance booking all year round.

More information here

Open all year round for groups
The Women's Museum  closes for a few months in the winter, but is available to groups all year round on request. School classes can visit the museum for free both during and outside the museum's normal opening hours.

Kindly get in touch to arrange group tours.

Please note that this product has yet to be professionally translated. Until then a machine translation has been provided.